Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bookworms like to make music, too

I always thought musicals were far-fetched. People randomly signing, or singing all the time? Then I had children.


With two small children, there is so much music in my house. It's amazing, actually, because I hardly grew up with any music at all. A little radio in the morning while getting ready for school, some in the car when going here or there, but there were no instruments, hardly any singing.


Now we sing all the time. It's a wonderful distraction. Purple Butterfly asks me to sing to her multiple times a day. Pink Butterfly is soothed so much more quickly by signing than anything else. The toy piano, tambourine, and marracas get much playtime through the day. They squabble over who gets which singing toy.

We're even taking a Music Together class. I love this class. I love seeing my children engage with other kids and adults in the class setting, and I don't know if any other conduit other than music would allow this to happen at their ages. Now, I don't expect this class to make them musical geniuses or give them ahead start when it comes to playing an instrument or singing, but it is letting them expand and explore the love music that they, and really, all little kids, have. And I love to watch the other little kids in the class, too. Their eyes light up at their favorite songs. They bounce along on their mothers' laps. They have their favorite instrument to play. Some kids you can tell it's just about bringing them out of their shell. And it seems that music is a great way to do it.

As the girls get older, I hope that they will persue some sort of musical education. I won't necessarily push it any more than making them follow through if they make a commitment of a certain duration, but I hope the desire will be there for them continue with this hobby that they can have and enjoy all thier lives. In the meantime, we'll keep singing and plinking along on our toy piano and tambourine.

No comments:

Post a Comment