Wednesday, August 15, 2012

And so goes the harvest

A good portion of the spring and early summer was spent gardening at our house. My husband did some much needed landscaping, and we planted a vegetable garden. Butterfly was such the little helper, out there in the mud and muck with her daddy, hoeing, sowing and watering. For our efforts, hopefully our front yard is no longer an eyesore to our neighbors, and we got to enjoy fresh veggies. Eating peas fresh from the vine was a nightly event in the beginning of July. We were out of town and missed the beans, but thankfully friends were able to enjoy them. Now we come into my favorite part of the harvest season - tomatoes and cucumbers. We have a decent crop of tomatoes. We planted Sweet 100s, Early Girl, Beefstake, and Orange Blossom. We've gotten one Beefstake so far, but the Sweet 100s and Orange Blossoms have more than made up for it. The Early Girl plant is producing, too. I have to keep an eye on Ladybug that she doesn't grab a green tomato and make a run for it. Yesterday I found her with a red tomato in one hand, and an orange tomato in the other, and seeds and juice all down her chin. As for our cucumbers, so far we've gotten two. They were tasty and crisp, but I was really looking forward to an abundance of cukes to make pickles from, or just to slice and eat with a little bit of salt. Thankfully, my dad has hooked me up with some cukes from his garden, and I was able to make a batch of what I consider to be the best cucumber salad ever. I will share the oh-so-easy recipe in another post. Yes, I'm going to share a recipe. When you see how easy it is, and discover how tasty it is, you will definetly thank me. Now we wait and see if we get any broccoli, watermelon, eggplant, or pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment